Home Forums [MOVED] Struggles Eating Patterns

6 replies, 2 voices Last updated by LisaForester 3 years, 2 months ago
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

LisaForester
      Participant
      @LLFORESTER

I’ve been Nutritarian almost 5 years. I’m lucky that my boyfriend will eat what I cook, go to restaurants where we can eat Nutritarian foods, I’m a good cook, I batch most weeks, and I’m goid at planning travel food. But I still have trouble.

I feel better when I don’t eat. If I’m not hungry in the morning, and don’t eat, I feel great, I’m happy and active and not thinking about food. then all of a sudden I’m starving and cranky. Then I eat for the rest of the day and all night. I can even binge on healthy food. Then I don’t feel as well, sluggish and foggy, even wsking the next day as if I have a hangover. This is even staying Nutritarian. If I eat breakfast and I’m not hungry, isn’t that eating for the wrong reason? I’m definitely needing help with this.

Mrs. Love Chard
      Keymaster
      @Bethany

Thanks for sharing, Lisa! Congrats on the 5 years… what an accomplishment. 🙂

I’d like to ask some questions for you to think/dig on:

1. Can you share a little more about the “starving” feeling? What does it feel like? Have you been able to tune into your body’s true hunger [felt in the throat and  upper chest, not in the stomach]?

2. In regards to the grazing the rest of the day… do you find that it’s mindful eating, or mindless?

3. Are you at home when you’re overeating/bingeing/recreational eating, or just anywhere?

LisaForester
      Participant
      @LLFORESTER

Hi Bethany.

1. I am able to tell the true hunger at this point. I will have to pay attention to that next time I have this kind of day, because I truly don’t know.

2. It is not mindless. I think to myself, “I will have some xyz and then I’ll be full.” The fullness does not happen on these days.

3. On these days, it doesn’t matter where I am. If I am home, I eat healthy food. If I am out and eat junk, then I end up with a belly ache and other digestive fun….

Thank you for helping me sort through this.

Mrs. Love Chard
      Keymaster
      @Bethany

The power of mindfulness is sooooo eye-opening. Tell me more about not feeling full and needing more. Are you physically full but you aren’t satisfied? Like the feeling that you “want” something else?

Also, share what an average day of food looks like for you. [Food and amount approx.]

LisaForester
      Participant
      @LLFORESTER

On the days I eat no breakfast because I’m not hungry, it’s like I’m driven to eat more. I never feel I’ve eaten enough until I’ve eaten so much I don’t feel well.

Typical good day:

Breakfast – Oats (1 cooked cup or 1/2 cup dry with plant milk) with 1/2 cup berries, 1 banana and some kind of raw or steamed plain greens. Sometimes includes 1 Tbsp raw walnuts and ground flax. Sometimes a tofu scramble with mostly non-starchy vegetables.

Lunch – Leftover stew or chili of some kind (2 cups – includes rice or other grain, plus beans, mushrooms, onions, greens, and other veggies) with steamed or roasted non-starch veggies, cruciferous veggies, OR 1lb salad.

Dinner – One pot dish or bean loaf and 2 vegetable sides. Sometimes includes a baked potato or Ezekiel toast or Engine 2 wrap.

I don’t snack, and at home I use no salt, oil or sugar. All canned beans and tomatoes are no salt added. I make most beans from dry, with no seasoning, and I’ve started making a large 8 cup batch of my own vegetable broth at the beginning of each week (because all the companies lie on the labels).

I like to take 2 packages of Trader Joe’s Cruciferous Crunch with a box of mushrooms, 1 diced onion, 2 Tbsp Italian No Salt Seasoning and 1 cup of veggie broth in my Instant Pot, 5 minutes at pressure and npr. This becomes 5 servings of greens (usually my breakfast greens each day).

Mrs. Love Chard
      Keymaster
      @Bethany

What I might suggest to try is to have your starchy carbs + grains at your last meal of the day. This will essentially “carb-load” you for the following day with energy, especially if you don’t eat breakfast.  Side note: Be mindful to not eat too close to bedtime [I try to keep it to 2-3 hours before].

PS: How many beans/lentils would you say you’re eating in a day?

Everything else looks really great — let’s try the above suggestion plus consider having some herbal or green tea in the mornings and afternoons to help occupy you.

LisaForester
      Participant
      @LLFORESTER

I’m not much on grains since the rice thing came out. I will add quinoa and baked potatoes/sweet potatoes more at dinner.

I eat at least 1 cup when I eat beans, cause I love them and they make me happy.

I strive to eat by 7pm and not eat for 12 hours minimum, so I’ll continue that.

Thank you for the input!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘[MOVED] Struggles’ is closed to new topics and replies.