Home Forums [MOVED] Struggles Emotional Eating Struggles

11 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Sherrie 3 years, 3 months ago
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Mrs. Love Chard
      Keymaster
      @Bethany

This topic discussion is for any and all emotional eating struggles + support.

Bryoni
      Participant
      @Bryoni

Living with my parents again isn’t helping. The way of staying on track for me was to just not buy any unhealthy food. Because if it’s not in my house i can’t eat it. That worked great! Until my hopefully-soon-to-be-ex-husband told me he wanted a divorce. Which made my son and i having to move in with my parents.

And my parents are on the SDD (Standard Dutch Diet). Guess what?!? The unhealthy food is in the house and i have to eat it….. :'( Pfffff

It’s a big struggle…

Mrs. Love Chard
        Keymaster
        @Bethany

I am so proud of you for continuing on your whole food, plant-based journey even through hard times with your soon-to-be-ex. I can understand the struggles of going back to your parents’!  What things can you put in place to make sure that YOU always have some things to eat so that you don’t “have” to eat the Standard Dutch Diet foods in the house?

VeganVieira
      Participant
      @VeganVieira

I struggle with nighttime eating.  I think it’s tied to boredom and I use food as a way to enjoy some ‘me time’ while my youngest is in bed.  How silly is that?

Anyway, I’m really focusing on extending my fasted window so it’s key that I not snack after dinner at all.  I’m going to have a slightly later dinner than I have been and then close the kitchen for the night at 7. I usually have a fairly late breakfast so that should give me nice window for some cellular repair and help me avoid mindless calories.

Mrs. Love Chard
        Keymaster
        @Bethany

Not silly! I can totally relate to the nighttime eating. I have been fasting for a couple years now, usually my window is 2pm-8pm ish. I try to not get too close to bedtime. When I’m done eating for the day, I sip on chamomile tea. If I feel a toxic craving coming on, I hurry and brush my teeth. 🙂

Julie.Taylor
        Participant
        @Julie.Taylor

What is the purpose of a “fasting window”? I’m not familiar with this concept.

Mrs. Love Chard
        Keymaster
        @Bethany

Julie, intermittent fasting is sooo great for the body! Once you get the food right, you can move to deciphering the difference between true hunger and toxic hunger. We want to work towards only feeding the body when it’s truly hungry and avoid recreational eating or overeating. When we do this, it makes time for our body to do other things besides digest — which is one of the most taxing thing for the body. Dr. Fuhrman touches on this in Eat to Live, Super Immunity, and also has a book devoted to it called Fasting and Eating for Health.

Sherrie
      Participant
      @wahminsc

Emotional eating has thrown me off my game for a few weeks now.  I buried my grandmother and mother-in-law within a month and then I lost my senior dog last week after a rapid decline.  I have been crying on and off since March and craving sugary and starchy things.  I’m trying to cut the sugar by enjoying more fruit and picked up date sugar and date syrup for cooking and baking but ran into the revolt by the fam.  If I bake with those sweeteners, I will be eating those goodies alone.  That’s another thing, though.

Here’s to trying to do anything but eat my feelings.

Mrs. Love Chard
        Keymaster
        @Bethany

Sherrie, I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother, mother-in-law, and pet. <3 My thoughts are with you and your family! I am so happy to hear that you have made some swaps and are enjoying dates and fruit instead of refined sugar. WIN… even if your family isn’t on board right now. Focus on Sherrie… fill your cup, girl! What are some things, non food related, that bring you joy that you can spend some extra time focusing on?

Sherrie
        Participant
        @wahminsc

Thanks.  Non-food related things that bring me joy are all my geeky pleasures – gaming, anime, and sci-fi.  Music is up there, too.  I do tend to fall down musical rabbit holes and end up dancing through the day.   Not that dancing all day is a bad thing.

1+

Stephanie
      Participant
      @Sf969

Emotional eating and nighttime eating are huge challenges for me.  While I don’t have a fasting window per se, I do like to wait at least 12 hours before my last bite at night and first the next day.  It’s a goal but I don’t always achieve it.  I think I might research this a little more.  I research EVERYTHING that interests me :).

1+

Sherrie
        Participant
        @wahminsc

I try to stick with a 12-hour window of eating, but my work schedule changed and my meal schedule is different from the fams.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘[MOVED] Struggles’ is closed to new topics and replies.