• Author

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

Daily check in, ideas, question

Terri
      Participant
      @tkane

I have experimented with exercising and weight loss. On one end of the spectrum I have had a personal trainer who worked my butt off. I was strong and had a lot of stamina but had a terrible time losing weight. I was always hungry. About six months ago I stopped exercising. I like to walk and do it often but is more meditative. It energizes my brain. Since I have stopped the cardio and strength training, I have had more success with weight loss. My workplace wellness adviser is encouraging me to add back the strength training but maybe not so strenuously. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

I love that you brought this up @Terri. Popular culture pushes exercising to the extreme. I’ve certainly done that, and while I loved being fit, it did not help with weight loss. What I’ve read is that although it increases your matabolism, you eat more because the increased matabolism says you now need more calories. The science studies say, exercise does not halp you lose weight. Moderate exercise is good for you in other ways though.
      On the other end, I’ve read a lot about walking being the best exercise for viceral fat loss. I’ve also read a lot about yoga for weight loss, even the restorative yoga. Although yoga slows down your motabolism, it makes me more mindfull of my true hunger and what my body really needs. Bonus, slowing down your matabolism will help you live longer.
      Mayo and Time both had little magazine books out this summer talking about this. I think your walking is perfect for your health and weight loss. I would watch that your doing something to keep your bones strong. Yoga will do that, but so will a lot of other things. I just like yoga becuase it makes me feel calm, happy, and healthy. I also love to walk my dog.
      Different days I do different things. I think a good goal is just be active every day doing something you love to do. Best wishes.

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

I’m hosting a birthday party for 21 8 year olds tonight, so I set the kid up with netflix and took an hour to do some yoga. Today I did Many Reid’s Love Your Body Vinyasa Flow, Yoga for Soas Release, and a bit of foam rolling.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUnWirHJ8_YtEQyFpWIISDQ/videos

Terri
      Participant
      @tkane

@Kim, thanks for posting the link to the yoga videos. I will check them out. I like the Classical Stretch series on many PBS stations.. There are some videos available on their website. I love the stretching. I would love to see this technique/program offered at senior centers. http://www.essentrics.com/media.html

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

Just did 35 min of yoga today.

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

Today I did 40 minutes of yoga. one if my favourite Yoga Utube channels is Boho Beautiful. Beautiful setting and peaceful music.

1+

mreyes1977
      Participant
      @mreyes1977

I do Buti Yoga which is a fusion of Vinyasa, cardio, plyo and tribal dance. I do it mostly for mental health, it is definitely a workout! I love Boho Beautiful as well!

2+

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

@mreyes1977 do you do Buti Yoga online? Sounds fun.

1+

mreyes1977
        Participant
        @mreyes1977

Yes, I do it online, though I do go to live class from time to time which is also awesome!

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

@mreyes1977 would you be willing to share your Buti yiga link?

1+

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

I always have gained weight when I go to my Dad’s cabin for the weekend. It’s like weekending at a 7-11; so much junk food. Stuck to my 100% for 3 days (day 2 was so tough).

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

I tried out the Asana Rebel App and while it was a good workout it, it did not give me that yoga feel good feeling. Anyone have a yoga app or online program they love?

1+

Mrs. Love Chard
        Keymaster
        @Bethany

I have Beachbody’s 3 week yoga retreat with Vytas and love that! I’m hoping to partner with a yoga instructor for weekly yoga classes here in Nutribabe Nation in the future… hopefully near future. 🙂

1+

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

I have a 4 legged personal trainer that makes me walk about 5 hours each week. I love my daily walks, especially if there in nature. Anyone else a walker?

1+

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

I’ve only gotten in 20 minutes of yoga the last few days. Going to call it giving my body a rest and not not prioritizing my goals. Long Sunday morning yoga sessions are the best anyway.

1+

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

Warning: array_flip(): Can only flip STRING and INTEGER values! in /home/lovechar/public_html/nutribabenation/wp-content/plugins/buddyboss-media/includes/bbpress/class-bbm-bbpress-media.php on line 331

My 4 legged personal trainer is very into Forest Bathing. Anyone else love just walking?

1+

Debbie
        Participant
        @Debbie

I do enjoy walking with my two, we don’t do long walks maybe 20 min. We do a lot of stairs living on the second floor we are up and down 16 stairs at least 5 times a day. This is Myles and Drake.

1+

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

@Debbie I often split my walks in to two seperation ones as well. My dog drives that. Walking for even 10 minutes after a meal lowers the blood sugar impact. So aren’t we lucky.

I’ve been trying to add in more strength training focused yoga a few times a week. Tone It Up on utube has some great ones. They also have an app that gives you 5 daily strength training moves. I’m almost 40 so time to get serious about maintaining muscle and bone mass.

1+

Mrs. Love Chard
        Keymaster
        @Bethany

You’re seriously rocking life, Kim. <3

1+

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

Apparently somewhere along the line I lost an inch I. Height. Determined to get it back and decompress my spinal disks. Yoga obviously helps.
      I’ve also been a huge fan of Lauren Roxburgh for over a year. Foam rolling to make your joint healthier, you slimmer by helping to remove toxins, and taller too. Honestly though it just feels so good. She has a book, videos on utube, and videos to buy. Just 10-20 minutes a day. Love her.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • The forum ‘[Closed] Independent 6 Week Challenge 8/27-10/7’ is closed to new topics and replies.