Home Forums [MOVED] Struggles Family is not on board

6 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Sherrie 3 years, 3 months ago
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Sherrie
      Participant
      @wahminsc

Does anyone else have family members (or roommates) who refuse to join you on this journey?  I am the sole vegan at home and definitely the only one interested in a no oil, no salt way of eating.  It’s easier at home sometimes than when dining out.  Hubs knows which vegan places I like and has found dishes on the menus that he likes, but it’s am an ordeal when it’s time to go out. He makes it clear that he’ll only go to those places if they’re not busy at the time and only if he’s in the mood for something healthier.  For takeout nights, I request fruit or veggie salads and a potato from the fam’s fav fast food places or a salad or sub from the grocery deli.  They don’t mind granting my requests, but sometimes it feels just lonely.

Hubs and I just rejoined the gym because he really wanted to do that instead of a home workout and he says he wants to eat better.  That’s something, right?

VeganVieira
      Participant
      @VeganVieira

I’m absolutely in the same boat! My husband eats meat and dairy, doesn’t exercise, and doesn’t really care to learn about the plant based way of living.  He will eat my food at home without too much complaining but will eat pizza or whatever at work to supplement.  It honestly makes me so angry because I know that he is impacting what my kids think/feel about food.  If we didn’t have kids, I could look the other way but he is impacting my ability to influence the children effectively.  Of course I also worry about the impact on his health…

Sherrie, it sounds like your husband has an interest in a healthier way of life at least.  Maybe you are rubbing off on him after all? 🙂  We have a gym in our basement so it couldn’t be easier for my husband to exercise but he’s never stepped foot in that area.

Sherrie
        Participant
        @wahminsc

It’s so hard to do this alone at home sometimes.  Does your husband eat your veg leftovers, too?  The fam will eat what I have planned for leftovers then wonder why I’m not happy that they ate vegan.  Grr.

Hubs is interested now, but time will tell.  Fingers are crossed.

Terri
        Participant
        @tkane

When I started this plant-based journey three years ago I tried to do it all, plan and cook meals for my meat eating husband as well as prepare my own food. That was Phase One.  Phase two, I told him I would cook his food but he had to plan his meals and buy the meat.   Phase three, I stopped cooking his animals but told him he could eat anything I prepared.  There were a few more phases including about 3 months where he only ate frozen dinners.  He has never given up the meat and dairy but he sure does eat a lot more plants.  Like Sherri said, I never seem to have the leftovers that I planned on. He cracks me up and makes me mad at the same time.  He is on thin ice when he digs into my hummus knowing it was the last can of chickpeas in the cupboard.  All kidding aside, I know in my heart that this is the lifestyle for me.  I am a Nutribabe and I won’t let others steer me off track. I hope I can inspire others along the way just as I am inspired by all of you.

Sherrie
        Participant
        @wahminsc

You go!  I’ve discovered that more than a few places in town will serve Nutribabe-compliant meals.  Others add bacon to Bloody Marys (two weeks in a row, two different places).

Dining out is my weakness.  I spent many years working in food and beverage and collect cookbooks and kitchen toys.  Making meals work for anyone is always my goal.  Vegan for me, nut-free for the niece, gluten-free (occasionally) for the sister-in-law and brother, and fam-friendly for my crew. Tomorrow (well, today since it’s after midnight) is Taco Tuesday.  We’re mixing it up and going with Koran BBQ (homemade).  The hubs and boy will choose meat (already cooked by someone else, thankfully), I’ll go with mushrooms, and the girl will likely revolt and make a quesadilla.  We will all have the same sides and toppings, but the fillings are different. That’s how things usually roll around here.  When fibro decides to let me handle my business that is.

bjames
      Participant
      @bjames

I have the same issues but what is a struggle for me is seeing my grandkids getting heavy and know one wants to listen and or watch none of the video’s about this life style. Also all the junk food being brought in the house doesn’t help much. I have very limited room in the refrigerator and freezer. The pantry stuff is no problem. UGGG

Sherrie
        Participant
        @wahminsc

I can tell you that people do not want to hear about what could happen without changes.  I did get hubs to watch Forks Over Knives when it first came out, but the things that make him want to cut down on meat are recalls and heartburn.  🙁

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘[MOVED] Struggles’ is closed to new topics and replies.