Home Forums [MOVED] Struggles Food planning and prep…fail!

8 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Mrs. Love Chard 3 years, 2 months ago
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Julie.Taylor
      Participant
      @Julie.Taylor

My husband and I were brainstorming last night about how we can do better planning and making “good food”. We had this discussion while eating out for like the 5th time this week because we had NO food in the house.

I’m working 60 hour weeks for a few months (I enjoy what I do, so not as bad as it may sound.) And it’s impossible to fit in all the good things I want to do in my week.

Neither of us enjoy cooking. I’d rather build 3 software systems then 1 salad.

Its ridiculous really…I’m a project manager! But I can’t manage Project Salad!!

I have 400 plant-based recipes in my Paprika food planning app. All I have to do is drag recipes onto a meal plan, and it generates the grocery list for me. I use the grocery pickup service at Walmart, so I don’t even have to shop! It’s pretty streamlined.

And yet, we throw away so much food and still end up eating out too much.

Grrrr.

Sheena
      Participant
      @Sheena83

This is me! Even though I will meal plan, buy the right foods and sometimes spend hours prepping them for the week, they end up tossed as we grab something else. I think I tend to seek out the comfort foods. I think it takes 21 days to change a habit.  Maybe if we commit to sticking to the plan for 21 days, we will find it easier after that?

Mrs. Love Chard
      Keymaster
      @Bethany

Julie, what if you thought of your salad building like a project? I think you might be on to something here… Project Salad. You know how to run the show. You know how to manage. You know how to build things. What if you shifted your mindset to owning your salad bowl… and you loved it? How would your life change?

Mrs. Love Chard
      Keymaster
      @Bethany

Sheena, YES you nailed it. By really sticking with it and moving forward, seeking out “comfort” foods will most likely subside [if you’re not eating them]. What are some of your main “comfort foods” that you go to?

PS: I love making non-negotiables with myself. “I worked so hard to prep all of this great food to fuel my body and mind… I will not let it go to waste!”

Julie.Taylor
      Participant
      @Julie.Taylor

What if you shifted your mindset to owning your salad bowl… and you loved it? How would your life change?

• I’d be healthier…fewer aches and pains related to inflammation
      • Presumably I’d be thinner, and I could wear some of the clothes I’ve been eyeing (I want a pair of kelly green pants in a size 8)
      • I’d be less stressed about what my future holds as far as health issues
      • I would be more outgoing and social

Thinking in terms of an elephant and rider analogy…the rider wants to do the “right thing”, however, the elephant has other ideas and only complies momentarily. The elephant is plowing through the forest tearing down the trees, and has no intention of listening to the rider.

That’s where I get stuck, I have no idea how to get that elephant to cooperate with the rider?

How do I do something I want (and need) to do, but just don’t want to do?

I have incompatible desires; I want to be healthy, and I want to eat my familiar foods and keep my current routine.

bleh.

Mrs. Love Chard
      Keymaster
      @Bethany

Ok great! Those bullets are great WHATs… now, WHY do you want those things? WHY do you want to be thinner, WHY do you want less stress, WHY do you want to be more social? Dig deep.

Julie.Taylor
      Participant
      @Julie.Taylor

I’d be healthier…fewer aches and pains related to inflammation

• why: so that I can move and live to the fullest extent possible, I don’t want to be limited by physical limitations 

Presumably I’d be thinner, and I could wear some of the clothes I’ve been eyeing (I want a pair of kelly green pants in a size 8)

• Why: because I’d feel more like ME, less like living in alien body that holds me captive 

I’d be less stressed about what my future holds as far as health issues

• Why: because I like having a fully functional brain and body, because my job depends on me being mentally agile, because I want to squeeze more out of life 

I would be more outgoing and social

• Why: because I would be “out there” participating in life, family, friends, not trapped in a narrow world

Julie.Taylor
      Participant
      @Julie.Taylor

@bethany does this qualify as a “why”?

Mrs. Love Chard
        Keymaster
        @Bethany

Absolutely! Your WHYs are YOURS. 🙂 I wanted you to dig deeper here so you can ask yourself things like:

“Is prepping worth not feeling like an alien held captive in my body?”

“Is working to be a salad boss and being able to manage my salads worth being mentally agile for my busy job that I love?”

Let your WHYs help carry you in those moments of “Ugh, I don’t want to prep or make a salad!’

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘[MOVED] Struggles’ is closed to new topics and replies.