Home Forums [MOVED] General Chat snacks

6 replies, 5 voices Last updated by  Mrs. Love Chard 1 year, 11 months ago
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

BerryMary
      Participant
      @BerryMary

I was wondering – since I’m new to the lifesyle – if anyone has found affordable snack bars or as i like to call them on the go snacks – the only thing I came up with in my head was nuts…

3+

VeganVieira
      Participant
      @VeganVieira

Technically speaking, snacks are discouraged on the lifestyle as it contributes to recreational eating. That said, if you are looking for something portable and compliant, Larabars are a good choice and they are just fruit and nuts. They are also super tasty! 🙂 You can also make them if you are so inclined and have a good food processor.

3+

Chloe_Stein
      Participant
      @ChloeStein

Sliced red peppers and hummus, fruit, cucumbers, broccoli and dip, etc are excellent snacks if you prep them ahead of time. Having them ready in the fridge cut up makes you WAY more likely to grab them instead of something else. It’s called the pleasure trap 🙂 We are biologically designed to expend the least amount of energy to receive the most amount of pleasure. If you go to the fridge and have to choose between cutting up a cucumber or eating a packaged product, the packaged product that is all ready to go is more appealing. Even that slight effort is discouraging. I like to eat huge amounts of my meals so that I can go long periods of time without eating in between.
      Dr. Fuhrman explains “Q: Do you ever snack? A: Rarely. I don’t eat if not hungry. If I am hungry I eat a whole meal, regardless of the time of day. Spending more time in the non-fed state activates biological processes that help to prevent cancer and promote longevity. When the body is not digesting food it is most effectively detoxifying and healing. If we eat too often, we miss out on these beneficial processes. Snacking is typically recreational eating, and that means excess calories you did not need. I eat when I feel like eating, when I’m truly hungry, and that is not necessarily at the same times every day – if I do a tough workout one afternoon, I will probably get hungry earlier the next morning than if I didn’t exercise. I also make an attempt to eat dinner early in the evening, and not eat late at night, so I get the longest possible overnight fast – more time in the catabolic phase.”

However, I have found LaraBars are great in a pinch. Deepak and I usually travel with them when we take trips! They come out to roughly a dollar per bar. Trader Joes also has fruit and nut “disks” that are super portable and convenient.
      http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/2017/06/trader-joes-nothing-but-fruit-nuts-date.html
      https://www.amazon.com/Larabar-Gluten-Fruits-Strawberry-Spinach/dp/B01N78WFQJ/ref=sr_1_10_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1512408551&sr=8-10&keywords=larabars&th=1
      https://www.amazon.com/Larabar-Fruit-Nut-Bar-Cashew/dp/B000ENYWSE/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1512408551&sr=8-4&keywords=larabars&th=1

4+

VeganVieira
        Participant
        @VeganVieira

The pleasure trap is totally a thing! My 13 year old tried to eat his advent calendar chocolate for breakfast the other day instead of getting himself something more reasonable. He doesn’t get a chocolate for at least another week because he ate ahead 🙂

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

@ChloeStein I’m kinda girl crushing on you right now. Totally agree. As a binge eater and food addict I used to eat non stop all day. I used to think I had to to avoid low sugar episodes. Turns out those episodes were just detoxing or toxic hunger. Now I’m fine sticking to my set meal times. Those are bright lines for me.

That being said, when I first started on this journey I let myself Snack on any produce I wanted. I kept Apple and mandarin oranges in my car and purse. I still keep an emergency Lara bar in my bag. Then over time I pulled in my eating windows slowly as I got my meals bigger.

I have not found any other compliant snack bars. I have found beet chips that are just beets. Some brands of kale chips work as well. Joel Fuhrman also has bars on his website.

Good luck.

2+

Mrs. Love Chard
        Keymaster
        @Bethany

YES TO GIRL CRUSHES.

1+

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

Warning: array_flip(): Can only flip STRING and INTEGER values! in /home/lovechar/public_html/nutribabenation/wp-content/plugins/buddyboss-media/includes/bbpress/class-bbm-bbpress-media.php on line 331

Some Naked bars work. But they have more dried fruit and nuts than we would ideally want daily.

1+
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘[MOVED] General Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.