Home Forums [MOVED] Recipes Tortillas

6 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Sherrie 3 years, 3 months ago
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Brianna Sheridan
      Participant
      @Brilee03

I’m looking for suggestions on different types of tortillas. The ones I’ve been eating are vegan but definitely not as Nutritarian as I’d like and I have them frequently. I make my own sometimes, but it’s too time consuming on a daily basis. I’d love to hear your ‘go-to’ brands. Thanks 🙂

ChristinaLewis
      Participant
      @ChristinaLewis

I have found some in the Mexican section of the grocery store that only have corn, water and salt.  I haven’t been able to find ones without any salt yet…if you do, please let me know!  Super impressed that you have made your own btw!!

Brianna Sheridan
      Participant
      @Brilee03

Thanks Christina. It is pretty easy to make your own. I do my with sweet potato, basically boil them until really soft, mix with flour of your choice in the food processor until it’s a doughy consistency- pat or roll them out and “fry” them in a pan (at first I used some cooking spray but now don’t even need that really). If I made a big batch I think I’d be better off. I wait until I want lunch and then don’t want to start the process haha. I’ll let you know if I find any without salt!.

Sherrie
        Participant
        @wahminsc

That recipe sounds yummy!  Thanks for sharing!

ChristinaLewis
      Participant
      @ChristinaLewis

I’m going to have to give it a try, thanks for info!  Have you tried whole wheat flour or oat flour before?  Do you add any water?

Brianna Sheridan
      Participant
      @Brilee03

I’ve done both. I think the wheat flour holds them together a bit better, but if you’re trying to vary your grains, oat works too! Sometimes I have to add a bit of water, just add little amounts until the consistency is the way you want it. I do mine fairly thick because I like my tortillas like that, but if you want more of a batter like consistency or to roll them out more thinly, probably more water. It does definitely help to dust the dough ball with flour before you make the circles and again before you put them in the pan. less sticky that way 🙂 Let me know what you think!

Mr. Love Chard
      Keymaster
      @Zane

Interested in trying out that tortilla recipe, soon! Whole foods 365 brand makes organic corn tortillas with organic whole corn, water, and trace of lime. Trader Joe’s stone ground white tortillas are also just corn, water, and trace of lime, but they are not organic. Hope this helps a bit. 😉

Both brands work great as baked chips in the oven as well.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘[MOVED] Recipes’ is closed to new topics and replies.