Home Forums [MOVED] General Chat Traveling

13 replies, 7 voices Last updated by Mrs. Love Chard 3 years, 2 months ago
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Kerri
      Participant
      @kermont

I am going on a cruise next week and I’m looking for suggestions on how I can handle my eating to stay on track while away. I’m not so concerned about when we are on the ship but more for the 5 hour plane ride and when we go on land for excursions. I’ve been doing well this week and I don’t want to loose momentum!!!

Debbie
      Participant
      @Debbie

Have fun, I would stick with nuts, seeds, dried fruit I know these are all high in fat and sugar but you will be walking so much I would think it will balance out.  Post pictures and where are you going?

Debbie

Mr. Love Chard
      Keymaster
      @Zane

That’s awesome! Where are traveling?

Long plane rides can be tough, but certainly more than doable with a little prep. The key is finding things that can go through security and don’t have strong odors that irritate others space on the plane. Debbie had a great suggestion with trail mix. There are also many fruit and nut bars that are easy such as most Lara Bars that you can get from most any large grocery stores. Easy to eat fruits such as bananas, apples, oranges, etc. If you like to bake, I think you would enjoy some Zucchini Banana Bread cookies found at https://nutribabenation.lovechard.com/recipes/chocolate-zucchini-banana-bread-cookies/ in a plastic Zip-Loc bag.

For time spent on land… would it be possible to acquire a backpack that doubles as a small cooler? Not sure if you can take food from the cruise ship, but that might be an easy solution. Also, I recommend researching restaurants in the areas where you will be traveling online ahead of time. For instance, if you are landing in Cancun for instance… just type in google “Cancun Vegan Restaurant”. You should be able to find some places that cater to this lifestyle. Let me know if you need help. 😉

Kerri
      Participant
      @kermont

Our cruise is to Alaska with stops in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan but we are staying a few days in Seattle first.  I can’t wait to check out the restaurants in Seattle!

I have a few days before we leave so I will start filling some zip-locs!  I’ll have to check out the cooler backpack, I’ve never thought of that before.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!  I’m getting so excited!!!!

Mr. Love Chard
        Keymaster
        @Zane

Alaska is one of the last states to visit before I hit them all. California, Maine, and Hawaii also on the docket… but Alaska is what I’m excited to see the most. You’re going to have sooooo much fun!

My grandparents did a cruz in Alaska and talk fondly of it often.

Sherrie
        Participant
        @wahminsc

That sounds fantastic!  Have a great trip!

Brianna Sheridan
      Participant
      @Brilee03

You will LOVE Alaska! So fun! 🙂 Depending on the cruise line, they even have vegan menus for the formal sit down dinners- obviously the buffets are a little easier to pick compliant things out. I know Holland America does. Be sure to ask when you first get there and then they will know for the rest of the week.

LisaForester
      Participant
      @LLFORESTER

I like to bring wraps with hummus or no-tuna salad and broccoli slaw and smashed avocado. The slaw holds up and stays crunchy. I use Engine 2 Ancient Grain wraps. Heat one in a nonstick pan, they get soft enough to roll. Spread your thick stuff, then put in the veggies and roll. I wrap each one in foil. They have kept up to 4 days when I do this. Travel for long days then put in the fridge. I have also taken this: take a bowl with a seal lid and pour in 1 bag each, frozen brown rice, frozen corn, frozen edamadme, frozen peas. Sprinkle in your fave vinegar/hot sauce and/or spices. It will be ready to eat later….and keeps well! I’ve added in broccoli slaw and Cruciferous Crunch, too. Have fun!!

Mr. Love Chard
        Keymaster
        @Zane

Fantastic suggestions, Lisa!

Debbie
      Participant
      @Debbie

I went to Alaska in 95 pre vegetarian, I went on Cruise West we had 99 passengers.  I added on going up to Point Barrow for a over night, loved ever minute.  I went alone, no one else wanted to go for 17 days and since my daughters were in their early 20’s they had no interest.  Would love to do a full summer their….

Mr. Love Chard
        Keymaster
        @Zane

My grandfather from my mothers side used to work as an air traffic controller up in Barrow for several summers after he retired from the FAA. He’s always had some pretty amazing stories about that place. Can’t wait to go someday. Arctic Summer Weekend with the Love Chard’s 2018: Barrow, AK Edition?  😉

Debbie
      Participant
      @Debbie

Warning: array_flip(): Can only flip STRING and INTEGER values! in /home/lovechar/public_html/nutribabenation/wp-content/plugins/buddyboss-media/includes/bbpress/class-bbm-bbpress-media.php on line 331

That would be fun, that is so cool that your grandfather worked their.  I have my certificate for flying over the artic circle and some great pictures and video.  Make sure you don’t wait, do it while your young so you can see and do everything. I think I was the youngest (40 yr) one on the ship for the first part of the trip.

Mrs. Love Chard
      Keymaster
      @Bethany

@Kermont Hope your cruise is awesome!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The forum ‘[MOVED] General Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.