Home Forums [MOVED] Struggles Vegan In A Non-Vegan Famiy

5 replies, 5 voices Last updated by Sherrie 2 years, 11 months ago
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

StephM
      Participant
      @StephM

Does anyone struggle with having to deal with family members/friends who are convinced that plant-based diets are unhealthy, etc. or family members/friends who insist that you must eat animals and dairy to survive ?? I am getting this vibe from my family – especially with Thanksgiving coming up. What’s the best way to deal with this ? Also, I apologize if this topic is already posted – I am new and still learning my way around. Thanks :))

3+

Debbie
      Participant
      @Debbie

Wish i could be of help but even though i’m the only person in my circle of friends and family who follows this lifestyle, not even a vegetarian in the group. I don’t remember the last time someone tried to tell me i need animal products, but then again when pushed and since i started this for the animals I would just start with how they are treated on factory farms and my friends and family are aware of my feeling on this subject. Just stand up for yourself no matter who is doing the pushing, you may be surprised and have a few who are interested. I got a text the other day from my daughter wanting to know if i would do thanksgiving again this year, knowing it will be vegan. Her and my son in law both went back for seconds last year, Good luck to you.

1+

Mrs. Love Chard
      Keymaster
      @Bethany

Yes! Great question. Are they bringing it up on their own, Steph, or responding to something you are sharing with them?

1+

StephM
      Participant
      @StephM

They are responding to my actions more than anything right now — specifically, ordering at a restaurant and asking if the dish contains dairy or any other non-vegan ingredients. This led to a conversation about Thanksgiving — they want to know what the non-meat eater is going to eat. LOL, I am sure I will have more questions to answer.

1+

Kimberley
      Participant
      @Kim

I’m the only vegan in my group and my sister is even Paleo. I generally try to not talk about health and diet and most people leave me alone. If not I just say it’s making me feel better and leave it at that.

I made Thanksgiving so I made most dishes Nutritarian and ate just those.

Best wishes.

1+

Sherrie
      Participant
      @wahminsc

Raising my hand. There was a Paleo eater, but she and my brother-in-law split. With her around, we had enough common ground that no one said much to either of us. In my home, I just cook what I cook while hubs and the kiddos add what they want to the meal. For extended family gatherings, I bring sides and desserts that we can all eat. Two years ago, I made a rum cake (a Happy Herbivore recipe) to serve and mini loaf versions as gifts. All were happy.

My mom likes to host big family dinners and refuses to let anyone contribute. At the last one, she made a vegan roasted veggie pasta dish, huge fruit salad, and equally huge garden salad specifically for me. Only one person asked me about vegan food and that was an aunt that had not been around for any of the others. My family has cardiovascular issues, so healthy eating talk is common. No one else in this area follows a Nutritarian plan, but they are getting there.

Hang tough and you do you. They’ll either come around or not. If not, more leftovers for quick meals. If they come around, expect to have your leftovers taken out first.

1+
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘[MOVED] Struggles’ is closed to new topics and replies.